Match Day is one of the most exciting days of any medical student’s career. It is the culmination of countless hours of work and dedication, and marks both the end of one journey and the beginning of another. Now, you can read about the NRMP 2023 Main Residency Match highlights below.
In 2023, the Match looked different from it ever had before. The 2023 Main Residency Match had the largest number of certified positions in history. Applicant participation increased, driven primarily by Non-U.S. International Medical Graduates (IMG)s. Secondly, surprising this year was the decrease in the number of U.S. MD seniors registered for the Match, a decrease of 236 registered applicants over last year. It was truly an interesting year for the Match!
Let’s take a look at the 2023 Match Highlights:
- The 2023 Main Residency Match included 40,375 total positions, the largest number on record
- Applicants filled 37,690 for a rate of 93.3 percent, which is less than a one percentage point decline from 2022
- The number of first-year residency positions offered in 2023 increased by 1148 (up 3.2% compared to 2022) to 37,425
- 2,685 positions were left unfilled at the beginning of the Post-Match SOAP, an increase of 18.7 percent from 2022
2023 IMG Match Trends
- 8,646 IMGs Matched in 2023 – resulting in 23% of Matched candidates being IMGs
- ECFMG reports the participation of 13,432 IMGs applying for PGY1 positions – an increase of 520 IMGs compared to 2022
- 8,388 IMGs applying for PGY-1 positions Matched out of the 13,432 total – resulting in a 62.4% PGY1 IMG Match rate
Top 5 IMG-Friendly Specialties
|Specialty||% Matched by US IMGs|
|Specialty||% Matched by Non-US IMGs|
Celebrating the Success of Matched IMGs
Congratulations to those IMGs who persevered and Matched in 2023! The road is never easy, and your success serves as an inspiration to all future IMG applicants.
Would you like to learn more about how to succeed in Matching as an IMG? Hear all about it straight from successful residency applicants just like you. Watch some of our IMG Success Story Interviews – now available on YouTube!
We hope you enjoyed learning about the 2023 Match Highlights. Keep reading for information on how to succeed in this year’s Match.
Finally, if you are applying for the 2023-2024 Match Cycle, now is the time to start planning ahead. From editing Personal Statements and reviewing Letters of Recommendation to polishing your written sections of the MyERAS Application, Residency Experts is here to support you every step of the way: Planning Ahead for Residency Application Success – Residency Experts.
Access for the 2023-2024 Match Cycle is now available through Match A Resident. We compare your unique applicant criteria (USMLE scores, years since graduation, USCE, and visa status) to programs’ requirements and preferences, saving you countless hours of research. Explore your Customized List of residency programs today!
If you have questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist you!